Thursday, August 27, 2009
One of the listed early effects of this product is supposed to be a kind of "detox" as your system is purged due to the healing properties of the unique combination of vitamins and amino acids. I had forgotten about this aspect until my body started throwing off extra fluids. I think that I am actually seeing some improvement in that I have seen at least a small increase in my energy level, I do not feel constantly hungry, and my sense of taste and smell have gotten better, that is, I have regained more of my sense of smell after loosing it many years ago.
I am looking forward to getting a few more weeks behind me and I hope critically looking at the effects, if any, of this product on my life and health.
In my first blog I stated that I am somewhat of a skeptic, but I don't want anyone to think that I am skeptical about all things. It is just that in my life I have discovered that the search for a "magic pill", "miracle drink, "golden bullett" or single solution for any problem, illness, challenge, social or economic condition is a fruitless and time waisting endeavour. (But most of us human beings are generally lazy, wanting to do as little as possible, and hey! why work for something if you can buy it? Right?)
As far as Zija is concerned it is supposed to supply a very large part of what everyone needs in the way of vitamins and minerals, and even help to boost your immune system, reduce your appetite.....
I am also on Weight Watchers (for the second time) and have dropped from 209 down to 194 in about 8 weeks. My goal is 180 and with the changes in eating habbits and the kinds of foods I am eating (and not eating) I will reach my goal. The first time I did it 7 years ago I started at 238 and went all the way down to 170 over the course of a year. This was very good for my health and my state of mind. But weight is not my only challenge.
- I have to lower my bad cholosterol and raise my good cholosterol. It is not real bad (high normal) but it needs to be better. (It has been touted that Zija can and has helped individuals with this.)
- I have arthritis in my hands, back, hips, feet, and neck. (I take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements daily that do help but once again Zija is also supposed to help with this medical condition.)
- I have an eye condition known as "macular degeneration" (early stage). It is the kind of eye disease that you really can do nothing about except to take a collection of vitamin supplements referred to as "AREDS" that has been proven to at least slow down the process.
- I am out of shape, i.e. I need to get more exercise, especially cardio vascular exercise. (I don't think Zija can help me with this unless it makes me feel good enough to want to move more, but in my own defense I am walking about 2 to 3 miles a day and am starting a serious walking program of at least 30 minutes daily to really get my heart rate up.)
I will get off my soap box now but perhaps you see just where I am going with this test. I am in the midst of a full lifestyle change and for the sake of my life I must make it work.
Friday, August 21, 2009
As a 54 year old very balding slightly overweight white male there is not very much about me that is exciting or worthy blogging about. If you were to Google my name there is only one entry anywhere about me on the web. In short, I am pretty much a nobody when it comes to any kind of street cred, fame, or recognition by anyone outside of family and work.
I am beginning a journey/test that may prove to be something very wonderful, or it may be a complete bust and something that should be exposed and debunked publicly. This is the purpose of this blog. (And a completely new experience for me.) [fyi...The pic is of me in SanFrancisco on a bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge last year.]
I am trying a new product called "Zija". It is a dietary supplement in drink form that comes in a can, or in a powder form you mix with 8oz of water. This drink and mix is produced from a plant called "Moringa Oleifera". It is also known in Africa as "mother's milk" and the "Miracle Tree". So then, here is my goal and what I intend to do.
- I will post reglar updates as we try this product "Zija" for 30 days.
- During these postings I will discuss how I am feeling and what improvements I am experienceing if any.
- I will also list more facts about this product as I continue my own research using not just the materials that the company, i.e. Zija, has provided, but also some other independent web based and print resources.
- I will do my best to respond to questions or comments from anyone who reads this blog (if that ever happens).
That pretty much is it. I go into this as a skeptic but trusting in the recommendation of someone currently using this product who encouraged me to give this a try.
So here it goes...
Day one and two: We mix up an 8 oz glass of the Zija powder and drink it right after we get up. The taste is not too bad, there are some small granular solids in the mix, even after shaking it up in a jar to make sure it is all disolved. There are no great changes after 2 days, nor would I expect any at this point. However, more than 3 hours after drinking the mix and eating a small breakfast I still feel quite full.
In one of the brochures from the company it states that the World Health Orginization is promoting Moringa as an alternative to imported food supplies used to treat malnutrition and that is has been especially useful in treating malnourished infants with great results. I will check this out further.